An evening with Mel Brooks



As a gift, Mom gave the guys in the family a night out with tickets to see BLAZING SADDLES in Santa Monica last night. The highlight being a Q&A with Mel Brooks himself after the film. I've always been a huge Mel Brooks fan. It was too much fun. I'm still laughing over these two descriptions. It's the way he talks and his energy that makes them funny...

Mel on meeting a wannabe writer years ago...

"I'd have lunch at a Chock full O Nuts in New York once in awhile. A young guy came up to me and said ...I'm a lawyer now but I'm really a writer! I said... so, go write something then and let me eat my chicken salad sandwich."

On his family growing up...

"My Uncle Joe was a very short man. He drove a taxi. If you ever saw a cab coming down the street without a driver...it was my Uncle Joe!"


There were many good stories, anecdotes and fun insights that I won't attempt to ruin retelling with my poor writing. Here's a lousy picture of Mel I took being mobbed by fans outside after the show...


My Grandmother was a huge fan as well. She said once, the only famous person she would love to spend an hour talking to would be Mel Brooks. Nana loved to laugh. I could not help but think of her.

BLAZING SADDLES is a true classic and even funnier with a packed house of people on the big screen...


No comments:

Post a Comment