Goodbye STARLOG Magazine

It's old news, but I just found out STARLOG has published it's final issue. Although I 've not read an issue in 20 something years, it makes me a bit sad. I truly loved that magazine. For a kid like me in the late '70s and early '80s, it was the only source I had for sci fi fan news. I'm especially nostalgic because of this "Fanboy Tale of Old"...

A long, long, long, long time ago, I made my usual 2-3 times a month trek to downtown Scarsdale, NY and visited a favorite little corner grocery/everything store seeking my regular comics and dorky magazines.

I had learned a valuable skill in those days. I could scan the numerous racks of layered magazines and single out my favorites by just a visible hint of their cover logos. On this day, very high up, I could see a new issue of STARLOG! Reaching for it, I then read the small teaser banner across it's top...


I was startled. I pulled my hand away scared that what I was reading would not be real. Empire?! Photo section?! Excitement took hold. I was living for this movie in those days. It was still a few weeks away. I had yet to see any images from it. I reached for the new issue again. I wondered if the cover picture could be from the movie. That thought actually made me a bit shy and awkward, kind of "star struck".

I took hold of the magazine by just two fingers. I pulled it from behind the others, very slowly, letting the image become visible much like the opening scroll in Star Wars. I saw Vader begin to appear...


Every image, still frame, set, prop and location from the first Star Wars was burned into my memory. I could tell by the small portion revealed, Darth was not standing in the Death Star or anywhere seen before! In a flash, I took the magazine down and held it in both hands, like a holy relic. I stood staring at it with a huge grin on my face. This was it! My first glimpse of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK! It was real! I was hypnotized by the cover...


I took in every detail...those feet...on the ground! Who is it? Luke? Han? My brain was about to pop out of my head. I wanted to enjoy what other surprises there might be at home. So I bought it without peeking inside. I rushed out the door and started to speed away on my bicycle.

I only got 10 feet before I had to stop, I couldn't wait. I found a nice big rock to sit on, in a shady spot, along the nearby Bronx river close to the train station and started reading! One of the best spring afternoons I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment