Creative Inspiration: R.O. Blechman

R.O. Blechman is an illustrator, cartoonist, author and animator. Although his name might not be instantly recognizable to many, his signature wiggly line style certainly is, having graced countless magazines, books, ads and TV commercials over the past 50 years.

Below is an animated holiday interstitial for CBS he created. It makes me really nostalgic. It aired often on the network for years in the early 70's when I was a little kid growing up watching all those Christmas specials.

I recall seeing it air once or twice in the early 80's during the holidays after the CBS Late Late Movie and before the network would conclude it's broadcast day with the national anthem.

Man, I'm old.

But the warm feeling you get from watching this is timeless...

3 comments:

  1. I remember this from when I was a kid too.

    This was the times when the stations would actually go off the air late at night, remember? Check out these classic TV signoff's

    http://thatstoday.com/article/3113830/when-tv-went-to-bed-13-classic-tv-sign-offs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about the stations signing off (or not being on yet when you got up in the morning). We didn't have TV from the States yet when I was a kid. Lovely little piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this blog entry and I wanted to comment anyway.I have this clip in my favs on Youtube and when ever I feel nostalgic about my childhood I play it over and over!Its still hard ot believe that a major network would ever commit that much air time for an interstitial. Thanks Dave for bringin to others attention!
    Angus Mcpherson...add me on facebook!

    ReplyDelete